Monday, November 8, 2010

Kovakkai / Ivy Gourd / Tindora Stir fry


My mom used to make this simple saute back in India. I love this vegetable. It has a very simple taste and acquires flavors from the spices we use. Just a simple saute but a very tender texture and taste. This vegetable has such great nutritional benefits. My mom used to make this not only because I love it, but it is one of the few vegetables my dad can have that is useful to lower his blood sugar levels.So it is very good for people with high blood glucose levels. I never made this vegetable here in US because my husband doesn't like it much. But the other day I asked him to give it a shot and eat this just like how we eat many other veggies that we do not like. He tried it and actually liked it and was ready to eat often. I am so happy that he liked it because its is easy when we have similar tastes you see ;-) 

Ingredients:

Ivy Gourd/ Tindora - 1 LB cut lengthwise
Oil - 1 tbsps
Mustard Seeds - 1 tsps
Urad dhal - 1 tsps
Turmeric - 1 pinch
Red Chilli - 1/2 tbsp
Salt - to taste
Sambar Powder or Curry Powder or garam Masala - 3/4 tbsps
Salt - to taste


Preparation:

Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. When it splutters, add urad dhal, asafoetida, jeera curry leaves.

When urad dhal turns light brown, add tindora. Keep stiring once in a while. Sprinkle water and close it. Stir occasionally and sprinkle water till tindora cooks well. It will become tender when cooked and the skin will slightly shrink .


The moisture in the vegetable will absorb the spices and tastes good. I did this saute just till the vegetable cooked and became tender. In case you need it crispy, add little more oil and keep it in medium heat and more time until it turns crisp after the entire moisture is absorbed.

 Serve it with roti, poori and just hot steamed rice.

9 comments:

  1. simple, delicious and healthy recipe...tindora is one of my fav veg...

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Amritha,

    That looks yummy...:)

    Dr.Sameena@

    http://www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Curry is simple yet yummy..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simply delicious stir fry..

    ReplyDelete
  6. SIMPLE AND DELICIOUS CURRY

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks superb...do collect ur award from my blog

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and for your lovely comments. Your comments are my biggest source of encouragement. Have a wonderful day!! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails