Thursday, November 11, 2010

Fried Rice


My first experience with fried rice was when I invited my friends home just after our exams were over. My mom made this rice along with paneer masala. That day I remember so well because we all loved it so much. I must thank my mom because it was nice of her to prepare this, chapati, and many other dishes for about 10 of my friends. We relished it so much. It was a great treat to all of us. We finished our last exam and it was Geography (I hate this subject even now. I scored so less in all my geography exams ;-) ) We were already so hungry by the time we came home. We hogged this dish and after that we had kheer as desert. I have been preparing this dish often as I found from my mom that it was such an easy dish. She told me that secret much later ;-) Of course she added spring onions to it . I dint have that. So prepared a simple fried rice.

Ingredients:

Basmati Rice - 1 cup
Mixed vegetables - 1 cup ( Carrots, beans, potato )
Onion - 1/2 chopped fine
soy sauce - 1 tbsp
Salt - to taste
Ghee / Clarified Butter - 1 tbsp
Oil - 1 tbsp
Bay leaf - 2 leaves
Cloves - 4
Garlic - 2 pods mashed mildly

Preparation:

In a pan heat 1 tsp ghee and fry basmati rice until the moisture is completely absorbed. Cook it in 1: 1.75 water ratio and keep aside. 

In a pan heat oil and ghee. Add bay leaf, cloves and garlic. Fry until garlic turns brown. Remove all these from oil and throw them. 

Add onion and saute for about one min. Now add all vegetables and fry in the steam. The vegetables should get cooked in the steam. When 90% cooked, salt and mix well.


Now add rice and mix well till vegetables and rice blends well. Add a tbsp soy sauce and mix well for few seconds. 

If you have spring onions, sprinkle at the end and remove from heat. I dint have it. So couldn't add it.

Fried Rice is ready so quickly.  You can serve it with Paneer masala or any other gravy. 


See you soon with Paneer Masala...

14 comments:

  1. very yummy fried rice!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. delicious rice love making it for a quick meal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am ready to grab that bowl and finishing rite now, very tempting fried rice..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious fried rice,looks awesome...

    simplehomefood.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks yummy. I too like it very much..

    ReplyDelete
  6. fried rice looks superb and delicious

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey what do you mean throw them? The bay leaf and cloves etc. You only use the oil flavored in that and not add it to the rice?Its so nice when amma prepares anything. Its more memorable when you get to eat after exams.How much food brings back memories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My all time favorite..nicely done!

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love fried rice...yours looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cannot forget your mom's fried rice.She makes them perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very good click. This looks very tempting...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Amrita
    How are you? This sounds to be a great dish..I never tried ghee and Soya combo..must try soon.
    I liked the idea of frying the rice dry...never tried... thanks for the tip.
    Have a nice week

    ReplyDelete
  13. College ke din yaad aa gaye ... used to make this a lot when friends came over ...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and for your lovely comments. Your comments are my biggest source of encouragement. Have a wonderful day!! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails