Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Coconut Rice


Hi Friends! Its been a while since I posted something. I hope you are all doing good. I am becoming lazy these days and that's the only reason I can think of  for not taking care of my blog. My laziness has affected my cooking too. I haven't been making anything great at home these days but for regular sambar and some curry. Today, when I took pictures of this coconut rice, I realized that I am so lazy and I better do something about it. My sweet husband's line " Take it easy today. Make something simple", made me take advantage and not really make interesting dishes. My poor husband has been so patient and quite. But I better wake up and do something before his sweet lines changes ..... :-) I have seen this coconut rice in many blogs and have commented saying it reminded me of my school days when my mom used to pack this for lunch. I was not a great fan of it those days but after coming to US, I started to appreciate my mom's efforts to cook three meals everyday if not 4 which includes a great evening snack. 

Ingredients:

Grated Coconut - 3/4 cup
Rice - 1 cup
Oil - 1 tbsp
Mustard - 1 tsp
Urad Dhal - 1 tsp
Channa Dhal - 1 tsp
Curry Leaves- 6-8
Green Chilli - 3 chopped
Asafoetida - a pinch
Salt - to taste

Preparation:

Cook rice separately and let it cool. 

In a pan, heat oil and when hot, add mustard seeds. When it splutters, add urad and channa dhal. When it turns golden, add asafoetida, curry leaves, green chilli and fry for a min. 

Add grated coconut and fry for about 2 mins until coconut separates and turns slightly golden. Do not over fry it as it. You can add salt to this mixture. Turn off heat when you feel the color slightly changes.


Mix the coconut mixture with rice. Serve with any vegetable dish or just chips. I served with sauteed cauliflower


You can also fry cashews in a tbsp of ghee and add it to the rice. It adds taste and richness to the dish. I was in a hurry and I really couldn't add it. 




See you soon!!!

13 comments:

  1. pulav is inving and delicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very inviting and nice coconut rice !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks delicious and inviting .....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this rice,simple n flavorful..:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coconut rice looks terribly tempting and inviting..

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a perfect recipe for coconut rice. Loved the fact that you added urad and chana dals. This is how it should be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. one of my favorite...
    looks perfect dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simple & flavorful rice!! And do keep posting such yummy recipes dear!!!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your platter of coconut rice is making me really hungry :)
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  10. Flavorful and delicious coconut rice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks perfect and flavorful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hello dear,
    I'm a vegetarian, but i cook NV for my hubby!!!
    First time to your space, I'm loving it. No doubt i'm following your blog.
    I will be very Delighited to find you in my followers list.

    Happy Blogging!!!!
    Food Blog News Daily
    Good Food Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  13. looks very delicious n yummy, simple n lovely coconut rice....

    Ongoing Event at Good Food:
    COOK IT HEALTHY:PROTEINicious

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and for your lovely comments. Your comments are my biggest source of encouragement. Have a wonderful day!! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails