Friday, September 24, 2010

Sprouted Green Gram / Whole Moong Salad



My mom started to make this salad when we found that my dad had diabetes. My dad never takes food at the right time. This is the main reason why he became diabetic. The main cause being his work schedule that restricts him from maintaining regular food habits. But now he tries to maintain a balance in his diet. My mom would pack this salad for him once a week. Thats how we got introduced to this salad. Its a great salad. I never thought sprouted green gram would taste so good. I get so excited when I see the sprouts from the green gram. It gives me a great satisfaction when we eat this salad. I feel as though we are having one bowl full of only fiber and nutrients. My mom sometimes would just pick hand full of fresh sprouted green grams and stuff it inside our mouth even before making the salad. That time though I ate it, I used to complain . But now I realize how good it is for our body.

Nutritional Value

Green gram is a legune which is rich dietary fiber content, protien content, vitamins and amino acids.

Ingredients:

Green Gram - 1/2 cup
Onion - 1/2 chopped finely
Tomato - 1/2 finely chopped
Ginger - 1 tsps chopped
Lime juice - 2 tbsps
Salt - to taste

Preparation:

Wash the green gram and soak it in water . Do this as the first thing in the morn.

In the night, strain the grams . Put them in a clean cloth, tie the cloth and keep it aside.

Next morning when you take out the cloth, you will see sprotued grams.



Now, in a bowl, add sprouted grams, chopped onion, chopped tomato, ginger. Add salt and lime juice. Mix well and serve.



Sending this to Deb's Souper Sundays , Priya's Low Oil Low calorie Event , Susan's My Legume Love Affair and to Girliechef's Hearth and Soul

H‘nSgirlichef

14 comments:

  1. this is indeed a very healthy salad! Love the shots too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colorful and healthy and tastes good too--what could be better!
    Thanks for sending it to Souper Sundays. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. we make onion salad like this sprouted beans are healthy addition lovely picture

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks colourful and healthy indeed

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious healthy moong salad..love it

    Pushpa @ simplehomefood.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ak, I love to make this type of salad using the sprouted mung beans as we call them. I have heard sprouting them in the dark keeps them from getting bitter. They are indeed extremely healthy and I love how your mother tries to help your dad's health through food! Thanks for sharing on the hearth and soul hop! Alex@amoderatelife

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I've just discovered the beauty of green chickpeas...this looks absolutely divine to me! So happy that you shared it with the hearth and soul hop this week!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love the way sprouted legumes get so crisp. I know that this is a tasty salad that I must try. Thanks for linking to the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love sprouts in salads.U just reminded me to soak some to sprout :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's awesome! Now I know how to use those sprouts, which is the only type I am able to grow myself... I tried with other legumes and never had success. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum - love mung bean sprouts :-)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  12. I join the sprout lovers in saying this looks so fresh and delicious! Thanks for linking this to the hearth and soul hop!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A refreshing, colorful, and very healthy salad. I am so glad, Amritha, that you dad is enjoying this wonderful recipe.

    Thanks so much for contributing to MLLA.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am a fan of sprouted greengram salad with tomatoes,cucumber with lime and salt.I am 90 yrs old and this is my entire dinner every day with yoghurt.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and for your lovely comments. Your comments are my biggest source of encouragement. Have a wonderful day!! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails